Thursday, July 7, 2011

My Picky Eater Is Enjoying Broccoli!

I couldn't find a picture of him eating :)

My 4 year old son has always been a picky eater. Before we went primal most of his diet consisted of processed grains, it seemed he was almost addicted to them, he probably was. He wouldn't touch vegetables and wouldn't even eat fruit! I would offer healthy foods at every meal but no go.

When I decided our whole family should start eating real primal food I cleaned out the refrigerator and all the cupboards of any grains, sugar and processed food. My son woke up the next morning and asked for his precious cereal. I told him we didn't have cereal anymore that we were having bacon and strawberries for breakfast. (He's allergic to eggs) My son was not happy! He wasn't happy for several days and he let me know all about it.

But after the first few days an amazing thing started to happen. He became willing to try new foods. Suddenly he loved fruit and meat. He even tried some vegetables and found that he liked cauliflower, carrots and broccoli. In fact he ate an entire head of broccoli all by himself!

He is still a picky eater. He won't eat just anything I put in front of him. But after removing the grains and sugar from his diet he is much more reasonable about the food he wants to try. It seems to me that the grains had been controlling him and the sugar had deadened his palate so he couldn't even taste the sweetness of fruit.

If you are still keeping non-primal foods around the house for your children I encourage you to take them out and see if you see the same positive changes I have seen. I have a feeling you will.



You may also like:

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE it! I noticed that change, too! Guess what my baby ate today! Spaghetti Squash! He inhaled it! :) I'm actually so PROUD of not only him, but of myself (actually) for encouraging him to eat good food! Food I grew up on, but somehow lost as I became older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son just turned 2 in July. He actually ate broccoli the other day - I called them "trees", and we dipped them in homemade ranch dip. Up until now, he didn't even want to LOOK at green veggies! He wouldn't eat anything that isn't beige. He even ate steak the other day (spicy fajita steak), when he wouldn't even touch meat a few weeks ago. Today is the first day that my husband and son ate strictly primal. I'm on week 3 of my own primal conversion. I find that bacon usually lures them both to the table, no matter what I'm serving. =) Wish us luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We started eating Paleo/Primal a few months ago. It's slow but steady. Your blog is a great help. You have terrific ideas and recipes. My youngest is allergic to eggs too and I appreciate your egg and eggless recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found this blog and I love the tips here for tossing the junk. My daughter eats so poorly. I want to overhaul our eating but my question is this...what do you do about your kids when they are in school? My daughter comes home telling me about all the junk she ate. It makes me cringe! Do you have concerns about that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am just now making the change to go primal. Thank you for the information. it's so helpful as I begin this new primal lifestyle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My picky eater is enjoying lots of greens! Just found your blog and can't wait to use your recipes, but we just eat with a Paleo influence, still using grains ocassionally :)

    ReplyDelete